Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Beach towels? Check! .... Sunblock? Check! .... Bottle opener? Check! .... Koozie? .... um.. not check.

How long are you all nursing that drink anyway???

4th of July is coming up, gang!!!
I'm packing the liquor our bags for the beach and it's pouring rain outside my window. This weather is messing up my groove right now. Thankfully Noah's backing up the Ark and heading out of Dodge tomorrow, so good times should be had by all!
I love the beach.... and I especially love the beach for an extended long weekend. There will be sand, and flippy floppies, and disheveled beach hair, and clothes that don't match and lots of grilling and bbq'ing and s'mores'ing. lurve it.

Speaking of burgers and dogs..... I like to keep things pretty lazy simple at the beach. Here are my beach cooler must haves:
  • Beer
  • Sangria
  • Hornsby's Hard Cider
  • Watermelon
  • Pepper Steak Panini's
  • Peaches
  • Frozen grapes for the sangria to snack on

Let's have a conversation about the Pepper Steak Panini's.... When I was a kid my cousin and I used to go with my grandmother on these pilgrimage/picnic's her church would do every summer. I know you're shocked to hear that my little (4ft 8 (maaaaaybe?) grandmother was very involved in and  lived across the street from her church... p.s. she also lived next door to the priest. just sayin'... Nonna was securing her position.
Annnnyhoo. So my cousin and I would look forward to this trip every year for one reason... (aside from hanging out with the old Paysans who had been hitting the home made vino out of the jug a bit too hard all day and would start singing crazy Italian songs no one had ever heard of, but everyone knew the words to,  on the bus ride home..... I digress... ).  All year long we would talk about the Pepper Steak and the Cotoletta Panini's. Cotoletta is breaded chicken cutlets... those were good.. but nothing came close to the Pepper Steak. It's nothing fancy... but it's the stuff Italian dreams are made of. Here's the recipe.. there are no measurements because whenever my grandmother would be asked how much of whatever ingredient was needed she'd say "until there's enough".
Make it, and don't share

Pepper Steak

Cube Steak cut in to thin strips
Green Peppers
Onion
Garlic
Oregano
Soy Sauce
Worchestershire Sauce
Panini (or whatever hard rolls you have hanging around)

Brown the steak in Olive Oil... add peppers, onions, garlic.... sauté.
Add oregano, soy & worchestershire sauce... bring to a boil & let reduce for a bit. You don't want it too too saucy but you don't want it dry either. Let cool overnight and stuff in a bun when you're ready to eat.

Have a safe & happy 4th everyone!!!
xo
L

No comments:

Post a Comment